Injectable Treatments

An alternative to major surgery

Injectable Therapies (or Urethral Bulking procedures) are a less invasive treatment option to help improve the lives of women suffering from for Stress Urinary Incontinence and they offer an alternative to major surgery. They are often suitable for those who are reluctant to have surgery, or who are planning to have more children.

How does it work?

During the procedure, a gel is injected into the urethra endoscopically to obtain a bulking effect, which helps to prevent urine leakage. The simple procedure consists of a number of small injections into the wall of the urethra close to the bladder neck. A cystoscope is introduced into the urethra, and then a needle is used to inject the gel into the urethral wall to form a cushioning or bulking effect. This process is then repeated as required, usually two or three times, to ensure regular filling around the bladder neck.


Clinical trials confirm that injectable therapies offer a safe, simple and effective treatment for SUI. The improvement gained to the quality of life for women after this procedure are comparable to those obtained with surgery. Trials show that the cure rate is excellent for the mild and moderate incontinence groups and satisfactory for the severely incontinent.


Injectable therapies are mainly used in women suffering from Stress Urinary Incontinence, often as a result of normal childbirth.  They are particularly suitable for;

• Women who prefer a minimally invasive option

• Women not suitable for a general anaesthetic

• Women with residual incontinence following a surgical procedure such as a sling insertion

What to do next

Injectable treatments are not yet widely available. In all cases it is advisable to first speak to your GP or health professional about your options.

Further Information

Injectable treatments may not be suitable for everyone with stress urinary incontinence so please discuss this with your GP who can refer you to a consultant if appropriate.

If you are concerned about your problem and it is starting to affect your day to day life make an appointment to see your doctor, continence nurse or specialist physiotherapist. Continence nurses and specialist physiotherapists are healthcare professionals who specialise in bladder and bowel problems.